1. Why do I see a login screen when I am at ADL?
Each ADL session lasts for 2 hours. Once the 2 hours is up, you will see a login screen which will prompt you for User Name & Password.
2. What can I do if I see the login in screen at ADL?
Exit the screen, go back to Library portal and click on the ADL link to launch a new ADL session.
3. Do I need special software or hardware to read eBooks?
All you need is your PC, laptop or hand held device and the free Reader software that supports Adobe DRM.
4. What is DRM?
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It is a method to prevent unauthorised copying and distribution of copyrighted content.
5. What are the free Reader software available for download?
6. The eBook I downloaded from Alkem Digital Library isn’t PDF or EPUB as indicated, but is an .acsm file. Why?
The Adobe DRM protects eBooks before they are being downloaded to the device as .acsm file. To open the file in this format, simply install Adobe Digital Editions or other eBook reader which supports Adobe DRM. The actual eBook will be downloaded to your device.
7. Will I be able to view my eBooks offline using the eBook Reader for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch?
Yes, once the book is downloaded into your mobile device, you can read them offline during the loan period.
8. Can I print or copy my eBook?
Yes, but please refer to Copyright Guide.
With regards to printing, this is subject to the license user agreement terms spelt out in the individual eBook service providers. Refer to the Copyright Guide under Question C10 for more details.
As for copying, make use of the citation tools which are available in each eBook database to acknowledge the original author and source. Users must take note that substantial copying – a matter of both quantity and quality – is not allowed. Refer to the Copyright Guide for more information.
9. How many eBooks can I borrow?
For ADL, there is a loan limit of 10 Online Reading and 10 Checkout (loans) per session.
10. Do I need to return my eBook?
For ADL, the loan period for the eBook downloaded is 14 days and it will automatically be returned once the due date is up.
11. Can users borrow or download eBooks which are on loan?
For ADL, if an eBook title is on loan to another user, you are not able to borrow or download the eBook. However, you can click on the Alert Me! button to reserve.